John Crump Phd Studentships - BAJS members only
John Crump Studentship - BAJS members only
- You must be a postgraduate student registered at a UK university.
- You must be in the final stages of writing up your PhD dissertation.
- You must be a member of BAJS when you apply.
- Application for the John Crump Studentship is twofold and requires students to submit their application form via the online application form. Please note that you can apply only if you are a BAJS member, so you will need to be logged into you BAJS member's account on the site to access it.
- Once you have submitted your application online, you will be sent an acknowledgement email with a unique application reference number.
- Your Ph.D. Supervisor is also required to submit a reference. References should be sent to email@example.com and include 1) a confirmation of your Ph.D. start date and precise date of submission, b) an honest assessment of your performance, and c) a clear explanation of the level of financial hardship you will incur up until your Viva.
- Please note, it is your responsibility to make sure that BAJS receives both your online application form and your Ph.D. supervisor’s reference by the deadline.
- The application deadlines are 30 April (for the period July-December) and 31 October (for the period January-June).
- Please also note that BAJS will prioritise students who have received smaller amount of funding during their Ph.Ds.
- The maximum individual yearly award is £2,400, but smaller amounts may be awarded.
- Successful applicants will be notified in June (for April applications) or January (for October applications).
- Successful applicants will be expected to submit an article for consideration by the BAJS journal Japan Forum within twelve months of completing their doctoral thesis.
- Successful applicants will be expected to acknowledge the support of BAJS in their dissertations.